Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Game Over

I've been regretting writting this post because I have to announce that Surly Headed East is no more. After a little over two weeks and 950 miles Ryan and have decided to stop in Cedar City, UT. It was a hard decision to make but I am glad we did. The main reason for us to stop was inexperience. Inexperience led us to leave too late in the season, which made the trip dangerous. After bad weather in Nevada and more bad weather forcasted through the Rockies it did not make sense to continue. Another big part was gear. We packed completely wrong for this trip and the extra weight hindered our bikng.

Although we did not make our goal I'm glad we tried. We made it 950 miles, made it through over two states, climbed an 8600 ft pass from sea level and crossed a desert. I learned a lot over the past few weeks and I now know what it takes to continue. At this point I don't think that I had the proper gear or mental and physical strength to finish. Maybe in a year or two I will plan the trip again and do it the proper way.

For anyone considering touring there are many things to consider. Weight is the main thing. Do not take anything you do not need, and i mean that. On the bike you feel every ounce. If you are going during warm weather bring only your riding clothes and night clothes. Everything smells and is dirty, why carry the extra weight of more clothes. For most areas you don't need to carry more than two days worth of food with you. We had road shoes wit lh us, but i would recommend mountain bike shoes and then leaving the camp shoes at home. Buy a multi soap that works on your body, dishes etc instead of buying each thing.

When you are trying to outfit your bike try to make everything as slim and small as possible. We had front amd back panniers to start with and then sent home the front. The weight in the front makes the bike hard to control and is not necessary. I would recomend a small handle bar bag instead of front panniers. In the back you want to be streamlline also. I had huge bags in the back which were not needed at all. If I do this trip again I'm using my front panniers (axiom monsoons) for the back and getting a handle bar bag for thing like lunch and everyday needs. When it comes to camping gear quality over quantity is vital. It is better to have the best necessary products then a bunch of neat worthless gadgets.

One thing to remember is that mother nature is queen. I am sorry to everyone who has donated or helped us out in some way. We do not have the experience to brave the weather. I know I have not completed the ride, but if you are interested in touring I highly recommend talking to someone who has toured in the past to to understand how to prepare. It is much more than just riding a bike.

5 comments:

  1. I've only done one small tour (300km over 6 days) and I thought some of the stuff you were packing was way too much and time of year was not a good choice.

    It is unfortunate. I love the bikes and am hoping to get one. Hopefully you two will get to do your trans-america in the future! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing to be sorry about. You two had an amazing trip. It takes a lot of courage to do what you did. You learned many things, had fun (when you weren't freezing)and have memories you'll be telling your grandkids about! I'm proud of both of you and hope you have many more adventures in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a great try, and one of those challenges you have no idea what you're in for until you get there. I bet you're glad you did it all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home. I bet it feels really great sleeping in your own bed. Absolutely no apology necessary. The money goes to a really good cause. Looking forward to seeing you at Thanksgiving and can't wait to hear some of the many stories you have to share. You deserve a lot of credit for even attempting such a trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't get it; you've taken too much stuff - dump some stuff, not the trip.

    Why were you carrying lunch etc. Carry energy gels and dehydrated food and stop at diners, cheap restaurants etc.
    Also, don't camp. It's hard enough cycling that much - you need your rest and there's cheap motels everywhere.

    When I went cycling with a friend on a couple of occasions it was them that gave up and I had to go along with it or be a bad friend.
    Mark Beaumont, the Scottish cyclist cycled around the world in 195 days alone, or really amongst the people he met. Fear is the mind killer.

    ReplyDelete